Did you know that October is National Dental Hygiene Month? Which means now is the perfect time to talk about what you and your family can do to safeguard your smiles. Today’s blog looks at five simple tips for protecting Riverside, MO, smiles from tooth decay and gum disease.
Tips for Better Dental Hygiene
- Brush Properly: How long do you brush? To properly clean your teeth, you need to brush your teeth for no less than two minutes each session. You should clean your teeth when you wake and before going to bed. We also suggest a toothbrush with soft bristles and picking a toothpaste that contains fluoride, as well as the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
- Don’t Forget to Floss: Even more vital than brushing, you should floss before going to bed. Using a floss pick, floss tape, or a water flosser, you should floss up and down the length of your teeth, dipping below the gum line to ensure you remove all food particles. brushing and flossing both help reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Enjoy Healthier Snacks: Don’t just snack on sugary and starchy foods, like candy, chips, or chocolate. Instead, try fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, dairy products, and other items containing nutrients and a lower amount of sugar and starch. You not only improve your overall health, but reduce the risk of oral health issues.
- Have Your Teeth Examined and Cleaned: Every six months, you should see the dentist for an exam and cleaning, which helps us monitor your smile while also protecting your teeth and gums against serious oral health issues.
- Don’t Ignore Possible Signs of Trouble: If you notice your teeth begin to feel sensitive or ache, or if your gums suddenly swell, look red, feel sore, or bleed, then contact us. These are common warning signs of oral health problems, such as cavities and periodontal disease.
BAILEY DENTAL CARE OFFERS COMPREHENSIVE DENTAL CARE
At Bailey Dental Care, we want to ensure our patients enjoy improved oral hygiene, whether they need preventive or restorative care. To learn more about our cosmetic treatments, schedule a consultation, call Bailey Dental Care in Riverside, MO, today at (816) 452-9700.