We’re looking forward to Thanksgiving, when we all sit down with our closest friends and family and enjoy a delicious meal together. However, as dental professionals we also know that many of our favorite dishes contain ingredients likely to cause cavities. Fortunately, we have steps our Kansas City, MO, patients can take to reduce their risk of tooth decay!
Stay Cavity Free This Thanksgiving
- Floss After Your Meal: When we floss, we remove the bits of food stuck between the teeth that a toothbrush alone cannot reach. In addition to flossing before bed, you may consider bringing floss with you to clean your teeth with immediately following your meal.
- Don’t Forget to Brush: Every day, twice a day, you should brush your teeth for two minutes. Doing so helps scrubs food particles from the surface of your teeth while also limiting how much plaque accumulates on your teeth in between your routine checkup and cleaning visits.
- Cut Back on Sugary Foods: Sugary foods leave behind particles for bacteria to break down, a process that increases the risk of tooth decay by causing plaque buildup and a boost in oral acidity. So, be sure to enjoy your cookies, cakes, pies, sweet potato pie, and cranberry sauce in moderation.
- Drink Water: When you drink water, you help cleanse your mouth of harmful bacteria. Water also contains no sugars or acids, making it to perfect choice to stay hydrated without putting your smile at risk.
- The Dangers of Starch: Starchy foods leave behind particles that bacteria enjoy just as much as sugar, which means you should balance your stuffing, biscuits, and cornbread with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
If you have any questions about caring for your smile from home, or if you’re ready to schedule a checkup and cleaning before the holiday season hits, then contact our team today.
BAILEY DENTAL CARE OFFERS PREVENTIVE DENTAL CARE
At Bailey Dental Care, we want our patients to enjoy a holiday season free of tooth decay. To learn more about our general and preventive treatments, schedule a consultation, call Bailey Dental Care in Liberty, MO, today at (816) 452-9700.